Advertisement
Yemen
WorldUnited States & Canada

United States’ Antony Blinken and Saudi’s foreign minister discuss war in Yemen and human rights

  • The new administration of President Joe Biden has said it would cut off US support for a Saudi-backed campaign in Yemen
  • Saudi’s foreign minister congratulated Blinken on his appointment last week and said the kingdom hopes to work with the United States

1-MIN READ1-MIN
1
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken. Photo: Reuters
Reuters

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister on Friday discussed issues ranging from regional security to human rights and the war in Yemen, the State Department said on Saturday.

The discussion between Blinken and Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud took place on the same day that the United States said it intended to revoke a terrorist designation for Yemen’s Houthi movement – against which a Saudi-led coalition is fighting – in response to Yemen’s humanitarian crisis.

“The secretary outlined several key priorities of the new administration, including elevating human rights issues and ending the war in Yemen,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said in a statement.

Advertisement

The new administration of President Joe Biden has said it would cut off US support for a Saudi-backed campaign in Yemen and step up diplomacy to end the war through the appointment of a Yemen envoy.

Advertisement

Washington said it expects Riyadh to improve its human rights record.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x