Advertisement

Hong Kong man claiming to be a Taoist monk sexually assaulted two women in supposed exorcism, court hears

  • Yuen Ming-kuen, 55, said his acts were intended to remove poisons and were ‘in accordance with Buddhist techniques’
  • He denied seven counts of indecent assault and another of assault causing bodily harm

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
0
The District Court in Wan Chai. Photo: Sam Tsang

A Hong Kong man who claimed to be a Taoist monk molested two women on the pretence of performing “Buddhist ceremonies” to help them exorcise spirits and purify the body, prosecutors told a court on Monday.

The District Court heard Yuen Ming-kuen, 55, groped one woman to remove harmful hidden “beads” and to prevent spirits from possessing or reincarnating through her body.

He was also accused of groping the woman’s 15-year-old daughter in her sleep to check if she had been infected by “poison” found in corpses.

Yuen has denied all seven counts of indecent assault and another of assault occasioning actual bodily harm. Neither of the women can be named for legal reasons.

Opening the case on Monday, prosecutor Hui Chun-sing said Yuen was first introduced to the woman on August 26, 2016 when her friends arranged for a Taoist monk to visit her flat after hearing her complain about it being haunted.

Upon arrival, Yuen claimed he had the ability to seal the house and heal through godly spirits. It was further alleged that his therapy would work best if the woman was naked.

Advertisement